Friday, January 17, 2014

Week One

The Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens has so far presented itself as a compelling place to work. In this first week of my internship I've become acquainted with the individuals who run the museum on the front and back end, and have also become familiar with the narrative of Polasek's life as well as his work.

Polasek's work reflects his Czech-American heritage and religious devotion while also maintaining a sense of classical representation. Even for someone who has very little artistic background, like myself, there is plenty of depth to be appreciated in his work and as such I'm excited to be working closely with some of his sculptures.

So far I've learned how to navigate PastPerfect, the cataloging system the museum uses for its possessions, and also have been taught by Rachel Frisby, the curator, how to properly restore and maintain bronze sculptures. I worked with the Emily Fountain at the entrance square of the museum and was taught how to properly wash, wax and maintain delicate sculptures such as Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment